Start your Return to Wellness journey to help you in living well with pain and illness or injury
1-1 support whether you have the illness/injury or are in a caring role in living well with pain and illness or injury by helping you to:
Navigate the many changes
Design a new normality
Resolve the questions you have
Learn to live with uncertainty
Help people close to you understand the impact on you and how they can help
Get the most from your medical team
Restore your sense of control and confidence
Reclaim your body, mind, relationships and life
Return to work
You’ll work with someone who knows what it’s like
Having had an unexpected serious neurological illness and been in the caring role for my partner, I’ve experienced the life-changing impact a serious health issue can have and move to place where living well with pain and illness (or injury) is possible.
In addition to working with people like you through my coaching practice, I’ve also supported many people with rare medical conditions through a charity I once led and conducted research in this area for a masters in coaching psychology.
You’re here because you’re ready to move forward
In a series of purposeful conversations, we’ll work collaboratively on the area(s) of your life where you want to make a change. You’ll:
Reclaim the essence of who you are and recognise how you’ve changed.
Re-learn your strengths and capabilities and identify what is important to you.
Let go ways of being in the world which no longer serve you and develop new approaches.
Leave behind the emotional struggle and take back control.
Create choices for yourself and develop a plan, moving yourself forward into action.
So you return to that sense of wellness you’ve been seeking.
Coaching helped me to separate the feelings of panic from the uncomfortable and scary feelings associated with my dizziness symptoms and be more proactive in managing them. I realised that I’m more adaptable than I previously thought!Lilly from London, UK
We did an online session on a very powerful and emotional dream I had. Barbara got straight to the point and directly addressed the issue. This helped me grasp and illuminate the meaning of the dream. I felt very supported and amazed by her clarity and confidence.Josefina from London, UK
Get started in 3 steps
Step 1 – What do you want to change?
Issues clients often come with are listed in these categories. Click on each to learn more. If you feel your issue isn’t listed here, mention what it is in the contact form in step 2.
Manage your health issue
- Figure out how to live in a changed body
- Design a holistic recovery/rehabilitation plan for the non-medical side of things
- Develop non-medical approaches to managing your symptoms (pain, fatigue, etc.)
- Develop collaborative partnerships with your healthcare team to get your needs met
Reclaim your emotional health
- Make sense of what has happened
- Move beyond feelings of anger, loss and fear
- Feel balanced emotionally
- Take back control
- Regain your independence
- Minimise and manage stress in your life
- Develop a positive self-image
- Learn to live with the uncertainty that comes with many serious illnesses and chronic conditions
- Decipher what your day and night dreams are telling you
Reclaim your relationships
- Make sense of and manage change in your relationships with family, friends and/or work colleagues
- Stay socially active
- Balance the roles of spouse/partner and carer
- Redefining your relationships with your children, siblings, and/or parents
- Get out of unhealthy relationships
- Get into healthy relationships
- Respond to people’s reactions to your or your loved one’s health issue
Reclaim meaning and purpose in your life
- Explore how you want to live your life going forwards
- Understand what is really important to you, so any future decisions you make are aligned with that
- Find ways to contribute, be useful and productive
Return to work
- Return to work, volunteering, and/or education
- Develop strategies for a successful transition back into work
- Manage relationships with colleagues, your line manager and HR
- Discover ways to use your skills, strengths and interests at work
- Find alternative employment
- Create a new career
Reclaim your hobbies and interests
- Get back to your interests and hobbies
- Find new interests and hobbies
Step 2 – Get a free consultation to discuss your needs
Get in touch by completing this contact form and I’ll respond to arrange a time. We’ll talk for up to an hour about what you want for yourself, how coaching can help, how many sessions you will need, and how we would like to work together. But if you know what you need and want to get started now, go straight to step 3.
Step 3 – Select your health and wellness coaching package
I offer three coaching packages. If you would like something that you don’t see here, get in touch by completing the contact form just above and we can discuss the possibilities.
Payment is made by bank transfer or Paypal.
Once payment has been received, you’ll receive a Welcome Pack with information about the coaching process and our agreement. You’ll also receive a Getting Started Pack to prepare for our first session and help you get the most out of coaching, including worksheets and tools to use as we move through the coaching process.
Payment plans are available to help spread costs if needed. Please ask about this during our consultation.
Wellness Session90 minute session
- This stand-alone session is great if you want a taster, have a very specific issue you want to find a resolution to, or we worked together previously and you want a top-up session.
90 minute session
Email support available for a month after the session
Foundations 4 Wellness4 sessions
- This package gets you started on your return journey to wellness.
4 sessions (4.5 hours total)
over 2-3 months
Email support available in between sessions
We’ll agree what you want to focus on and work together towards your goals.
- At the end of our sessions, you can choose whether you’d like to continue with another block of four sessions, ‘top up’ with a one-off session, or you might decide you’ve reached the goal you had in mind and end our work there.
Return to Wellness10 sessions
- This package provides comprehensive and ongoing support over a greater length of time.
10 sessions (10.5 hours total)
over 6-8 months
Email support available in between sessions
- Using the Wellness Appreciation workbook, we look at all aspects of your experience as you adjust to living with the changes brought on by a serious health issue, set goals in those areas important to you, devise an action plan to meet them and implement it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is each session?
The first session is 90 minutes so we can go through any pre-work you’ve completed and set our agenda for working together. Each successive session is 60 minutes.
How often will we talk?
Is there any support outside of our sessions?
What happens at the end of our work together?
What do you mean by a "serious health issue"?
I’ve worked with Many people I work with have experienced the onset of a serious health issue suddenly, which has been life-changing for them in some way. Other clients are dealing with health challenges that might at first appear “minor” but actually have a significant impact on their day to day life. Or the health issue may be serious and temporary. I don’t have a set of strict criteria about who I help – if a health issue is having an impact on your life, then I’d love to support you to move forward. I’m always happy to have a chat about what you’re going through to find out if I’m the best fit for you.
Do you have expertise in specific health conditions?
I’ve worked with people who have had cancer; neurological inflammatory conditions like Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and rarer ones such as Transverse Myelitis (TM), Neuromyelitis Optica (NMO) and Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM); Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS); Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.). I have also worked with people who have Parkinson’s; heart disease including heart attacks in younger men; angina; diabetes; spinal cord injury; lupus; and benign conditions such as dizziness. And I have supported family members who have had to take on the carer role.
As a coach, my role is not to give clients medical related advice on how to treat their condition or symptoms of it. I’m not a doctor or nurse so not qualified to do that. So having expertise in specific health conditions is not needed. However, I do read about your or your loved one’s condition so I have an understanding of the issues you face on a daily basis.
If at any time I felt your issue or questions you ask would be better dealt with by a suitably qualified professional, I will let you know that.