Hello. I’m Barbara Babcock.
As a Health & Wellness Coach, facilitator, researcher and adult learning specialist, my passion is supporting people to manage effectively the emotional impact of a serious health issue, rediscover their purpose and move on with their lives in the way they wish to.
If that’s a situation you or a loved one is in right now, I’d love to see how I can help.
Working with me means we’ll build a relationship that enables the change you want to occur – so it’s important we get to know and trust each other. To help you learn more about me and my work, I’ve shared answers to some things you may be curious about below. Click on the questions to expand them and learn more.
What's Return to Wellness?
What do you mean by a "serious health issue"?
Do you have expertise in specific health conditions?
I’ve worked with people who have had cancer; neurological inflammatory conditions like Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and rarer ones such as Transverse Myelitis (TM), Neuromyelitis Optica (NMO) and Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM); heart disease including heart attacks in younger men; angina; diabetes; spinal cord injury; lupus; Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.); and benign conditions such as dizziness. And I have supported family members who have had to take on the carer role. However, as a coach, my role is not to give clients medical related advice on how to treat their condition or symptoms of it. I’m not a doctor or nurse so not qualified to do that. So having expertise in specific health conditions is not needed. However, I do read about your or your loved one’s condition so I have an understanding of the issues you face on a daily basis.
Where are you based?
I‘m originally from the USA but have been living in the UK for 18 years now, which practically makes me a native. I live in South West London, and spend my free time kayaking on the River Thames, walking and practicing yoga. I love the creativity of cooking, enjoy design and skyping with my family in the USA. I also love handbags! From my home office I connect with clients from all over the world.
Why this kind of work?
How did you get into this work?
What did you do before Return to Wellness?
So you could help me figure out career issues?
Can you help me with family issues too?
What qualifications do you have to do your work?
I love learning – and it’s important to me that I study subjects where I’m actually going to use and enhance skills I already have or am learning. So in addition to an M.A. in Coaching Psychology, I have:
- Associate Certified Coach credential with the International Coach Federation
- Certificate in Professional Coaching Skills (ICF accredited), Coaching Development Ltd.
- Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development (CIPD) – Associate
- CIPD’s Certificate in Training Practice
- Myers Briggs Type Indicator Step 1
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming Practitioner
- M.A. Russian Area Studies
- B.A. International Business & Languages (Russian & French)
- Acceptance Commitment Therapy – Completed 8 day programme with Mindfullness Training Ltd.
- Systemic Constellations – Completed the foundation course and currently completing the applied course with the Centre for Systemic Constellations