Health and wellness coaching for individuals
After you, or a loved one, have experienced the onset of a long-term medical condition or serious illness/injury, it can feel like normality has been taken away from you.
The situation you’re in probably takes up a lot of your energy. The routine of illness can take over surprisingly quickly – medicines, appointments, managing symptoms, caring for someone, etc. Life may even feel like a fight at times. You have so many questions; uncertainty is scary, but professionals can only do so much.
You might even find you’ve lost some of your usual confidence, or started to feel lonely or unsure what to do. Although family and friends may be helpful and sympathetic, they don’t really get what you’re going through.
People say you will be fine once you get used to things, or tell you being positive will help. Maybe you’ve started reading or seeking support to come to terms with what’s happened.
But it feels like a huge task. The future is unknown. Where do you start? It’s tiring and you might be wondering, ‘Is this it?’
No, this is not it
Not many people know what it’s like to try and make sense of what has happened and rebuild their lives after an unexpected illness or serious injury. But it’s completely possible to not just cope with, but thrive and flourish, when you have the right support in place.
You’re here because you’re ready to move forward.
Medical professionals have their own areas of expertise. Well-meaning friends and family aren’t able to facilitate the structured conversations, or ask the right questions to move you forward.
As a trained coach specialising in working with people facing the same kinds of challenges as you, I can help.
In a series of purposeful conversations we’ll work collaboratively on the area(s) of your life where you want to make a change. The process is called coaching and you can read more about it here.
Together we’ll begin your return to wellness
For lots of people who’ve been through similar experiences, the biggest shift comes when you get to grips with the emotional side and understand how that’s impacting your life.
During our sessions you will reclaim the essence of who you are and recognise how you have changed. Through reconnecting to your purpose you’ll leave behind the emotional struggle and return to that sense of wellness and wellbeing you have been wanting.
Reclaim, rebuild and reinvent yourself after a serious health issue
You’ll re-learn your strengths and capabilities and identify what is important to you; let go of ways of being in the world which no longer serve you and develop new approaches. Ultimately, you will create choices for yourself, which will move you forward into action.
So you can feel calm, happy and in control once more.
Take part in research
Have you experienced the onset of a serious health issue and talk about acceptance in relation to it?
If you are happy to share your experience, I’m researching what acceptance means to people like you.
Here’s how to join me on your Return to Wellness journey
Step 1 – Identify what you want to be different
You may have the health issue, or be in the caring role, and want to change something around one or more aspects of your life. You may want to move beyond a negative situation or build on something positive that has happened. Click on each tab to learn more and consider which topics apply to you.
- Manage your health issue
- Manage emotions
- Return to work
- Your life purpose
- Something else?
- Figure out how to live in a changed body
- Manage symptoms (pain, fatigue, etc.)
- Enhance how you look after yourself physically (diet, exercise, establishing a routine, etc.)
- Establish your healthcare team (hint, this doesn’t always include medical and healthcare professionals, it can inlcude a favourite pet)
- Develop collaborative partnerships with your healthcare team to get your needs met
- Design a holistic recovery/rehabilitation plan for the non-medical side of things
- Make sense of what has happened to you (whether you have or a loved one has the serious health issue)
- Move beyond feelings of anger, loss and fear
- Feel balanced emotionally
- Take back control
- Regain your independence
- Find ways to contribute, be useful and productive
- Minimise and manage stress in your life
- Enhance how you look after yourself emotionally
- Develop a positive self-image
- Learn to live with the uncertainty that comes with many serious illnesses and chronic conditions
- Decipher what your day and night dreams are telling you
- Make sense of and manage change in your relationships with family, friends and/or work colleagues
- Figure out how to work with these changes whilst still being you
- Stay socially active
- Balance the roles of spouse/partner and carer
- Redefining your relationships with your children, siblings, and/or parents
- Get out of unhealthy relationships
- Get into healthy relationships
- Respond to people’s reactions to your or your loved one’s health issue
- Return to work (Hint: Work doesn’t have to be paid; it can be a volunteer position or something else. You define what ‘work’ means to you.)
- Develop strategies for a successful transition back into work and for the longer-term
- Figure out what to tell colleagues (or not)
- Manage relationships with colleagues, your line manager and HR
- Resolve sticky situations with staff
- You want to go for a promotion or work on a special project and be successful at it
- Discover ways to use your skills, strengths and interests at work
- Find alternative employment
- Create a new career
- Find a volunteer opportunity
- Get back to your interests and hobbies
- Find new interests and hobbies
- Explore your purpose in life: what you’re here to do and the impact you can and want to have on yourself and others
- Understand what is really important to you, so any future decisions you make are aligned with that
- Hint: Your life purpose isn’t an end in itself. It can evolve throughout your life as you grow, change and learn
I’ve listed the most common issues clients have brought to me after experiencing a serious health issue. But there may be something else for you which isn’t listed here.
It might be related to something in the culture you were raised in – what is acceptable or not regarding serious illness, disability, etc. You may be wondering about ways to manage your finances. Or something else.
Mention it when you complete the contact form in step 2 and we can discuss it when we chat. If I feel another source of support would better suit your needs, I will let you know.
Step 2 – Get a free consultation to discuss your needs
Get in touch by completing this contact form and I’ll respond to arrange a time. We’ll talk for up to an hour about what you want for yourself, how coaching can help, how many sessions you will need, and how we would like to work together. But if you know what you need and want to get started now, go straight to step 3.
Step 3 – Select your health and wellness coaching package
I offer three coaching packages. If you would like something that you don’t see here, get in touch by completing the contact form just above and we can discuss the possibilities.
Payment is made by bank transfer, Paypal or cheque made out to Barbara Babcock Coaching & Consulting.
Once payment has been received, you’ll receive a Welcome Pack with information about the coaching process and our agreement. You’ll also receive a Getting Started Pack to prepare for our first session and help you get the most out of coaching, including worksheets and tools to use as we move through the coaching process.
Payment plans are available to help spread costs if needed.
Wellness Session90 minute session
- This stand-alone session is great if you want a taster, have a very specific issue you want to find a resolution to, or we worked together previously and you want a top-up session.
90 minute session
Email support available for a month after the session
Foundations 4 Wellness4 sessions
- This package gets you started on your return journey to wellness.
4 sessions (4.5 hours total)
over 2-3 months
Email support available in between sessions
We’ll agree what you want to focus on and work together towards your goals.
- At the end of our sessions, you can choose whether you’d like to continue with another block of four sessions, ‘top up’ with a one-off session, or you might decide you’ve reached the goal you had in mind and end our work there.
Return to Wellness10 sessions
This package provides comprehensive and ongoing support over a greater length of time.
10 sessions (10.5 hours total)
over 6-8 months
Email support available in between sessions
- Using the Wellness Assessment, we look at all aspects of your experience as you adjust to living with the changes brought on by a serious health issue, set goals in those areas important to you, devise an action plan to meet them and implement it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is each session?
The first session is 90 minutes so we can go through any pre-work you’ve completed and set our agenda for working together. Each successive session is 60 minutes.
How often will we talk?
Is there any support outside of our sessions?
What happens at the end of our work together?
What do you mean by “a serious health issue"?
Do you have expertise in specific health conditions?
I’ve worked with people who have had cancer; neurological inflammatory conditions like Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and rarer ones such as Transverse Myelitis (TM), Neuromyelitis Optica (NMO) and Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM); Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS); Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.); Parkinson’s; heart disease including heart attacks in younger men; angina; diabetes; spinal cord injury; lupus; and benign conditions such as dizziness. And I have supported family members who have had to take on the carer role.
As a coach, my role is not to give clients medical related advice on how to treat their condition or symptoms of it. I’m not a doctor or nurse so not qualified to do that. So having expertise in specific health conditions is not needed. However, I do read about your or your loved one’s condition so I have an understanding of the issues you face on a daily basis.
If at any time I felt your issue or questions you ask would be better dealt with by a suitably qualified professional, I will let you know that.